1. In a ____ telescope, light passes through convex lenses. (1 point)
2. The first stage in the space program designed to send Americans to the moon was ____. (1 point)
the Hubble Space Telescope
3. One major difference between an artificial satellite and a space probe is that the artificial satellite ____. (1 point)
is built by humans
is less expensive to build
orbits another object, while the space probe travels farther into the solar system
can carry only instruments into space
4. The first human to travel in space was ____. (1 point)
Yuri A. Gagarin
5. Of all the benefits of the space shuttle, the one that helps cut costs the most is that ____. (1 point)
it is reusable
it can land like an airplane
the cargo bay can be used for a wide variety of tasks
all of the above
6. Which of the following planets is the smallest?
7. Which takes the most amount of time? (1 point)
Earth rotates once.
Earth revolves once.
The moon revolves once.
All take the same amount of time.
8. One astronomical unit equals ____. (1 point)
the average distance from Earth to the sun
the amount of time it takes Earth to orbit the sun
the distance to the nearest star
the amount of time it takes light to travel from the sun to Earth
9. When the moon and sun are on opposite sides of Earth, a ____ moon occurs. (1 point)
10. Earth’s nearest neighboring planets are ____. (1 point)
Venus and Mars
Mars and Jupiter
Mercury and Venus
Mercury and Jupiter
11. The Great Red Spot refers to ____. (1 point)
a giant storm on Jupiter
rocks on Mars
the giant red star Betelgeuse
the stage before a star becomes a supernova
12. A ____ has so much gravity that light cannot escape. (1 point)
Note: your teacher will review your answers to questions 13–16 to ensure you receive proper credit for your answers.
13. (1 point)
As part of Project , Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the moon.
14. (1 point)
A(n) telescope uses concave mirrors to focus light.
15. (1 point)
As shown in Figure 15-1, Earth spins around an imaginary line called a(n) .
16. (1 point)
As shown in Figure 15-1, the season that the part of Earth tilted away from the sun experiences is .
Note: your teacher will grade your answers to questions 17–20 to ensure you receive proper credit for your answers.
17. Why can’t you see a new moon? (1 point)
18. Describe the inner planets. (1 point)
19. Describe the outer planets. (1 point)
20. Use these terms to identify the lettered parts on Figure 14-2: space station, space shuttle, space probe, Earth, moon. (4 points)
- Solar Guru: For The Astrology Gurus, What Do You Make Of Our Relationship Compatibility? (5/8/2011)
- Solar Lights: How To Create A Solar System For Novel? (6/11/2011)
- Solar Producer: What Are The Answers To The Follwoing Questions? PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK.. GETTING GRADED!? (5/11/2011)
- Solar Lights: What Is Optical Vortex Mask?Will This Device Will Help Astronomers To Study Planets Beyond The Sun? (6/12/2011)
- Science Help. Can someone answer and explain these for me? I’m having trouble in this part of science class.?