This seems like a dangerous question because though we cannot disprove the existence of a diety, it seems very likely that the existence of the christian god can.
The Holy Bible is the only evidence to the Christian god’s existence. It is 66 books in 2 testaments testifying the existence of the Christian god.
Christians will say that their god is the only true god and the only one worthy of worship. They may use the holy books of other religions, review them and say the gods do not exist because the stories are not compatible with what we know about the history and the natural order of things.
We know Apollo does not carry the sun across the sky in a chariot. That is silly. But can you prove he does not? Of course, we know that the sun is a fixed object in the solar system and that the earth in spinning while rotating around the sun.
We can do the same thing with the christian god. The bible makes it very easy for us, because in psalms it says that gods word is without flaw and preachers consistently preach that the bible is inerrant. So if a flaw is found in the bible, it brings the entire book into question.
So when you open the bible and it says god created the earth in 6 days and if added up comes out to be 6,000 years old, we know that to be silly because of the over whelming evidence that says otherwise. Isometric dating, geologic strata, and tracing genomes amoung other things including the speed of light and stars millions of light years away.
I could see why creationism was so important in excusing contradictions and inconsistencies in the bible that are not compatible with the natural world.
- All Christian “evidence” for God, in one spot? (all of which are invalid)?
- Solar Lights: Atheist: Can You Please Explain These Errors That Richard Dawkins Have? (7/4/2011)
- Solar Lights: Can You Shed Some Light On This Creationist Claim? (7/1/2011)
- Solar Producer: How Insignificant Can I Make You Feel? (6/5/2011)
- Solar Lights: Is The Sabbath Which The Jews Celebrated The Day After The Crucifixion The Same Saturday That We Know Of Today? (6/9/2011)