So I was bored and saw a comment on a youtube video about Djoker having a sub standard year so I checked out his ATP match record for the season.
It is a bit deceptive. He has a pretty good W-L at 53-16 (a solid number of wins) and has won two ATP titles (Belgrade 250, Dubai 500). He has even been to the finals of seven events, including runner’s up at ATP1000 events Miami (l. Murray), Monte Carlo (l. Nadal), Rome (l. Nadal), Cincinnati (l. Federer), and ATP250 Halle (l. Haas).
1) Before Cincinnati this past week, he had not beat a player ranked higher than #25 (Fish at Wimbledon, 3rd Round) since APRIL when he beat Federer in the SF of Rome.
2) He had a 7-9 match record against players in the top 10 this season, while 3 of those wins have been against either Simon (2 wins) or Verdasco (1 win). He has a 4-7 record against Top 5 players on the season.
3) He has not beat the quickly improving Andy Roddick, the player right on his heels for World #4, in 3 meetings this season.
4) He has not beat either Roger, or Nadal, when they have been ranked #1 this season.
5) He hasn’t made it past the QF of a slam.
6) In his two tournament victories, he only beat one Top 10 player, Simon, then #8, at Dubai. The next highest were Ferrer, #14, and #19 Cilic.
7) He has admitted the mentally crushing match against Nadal in Madrid when he held several match points in the 3rd set tiebreak and ended up losing (when Nadal’s knees were basically locked up) destroyed his confidence. He was quoted as saying he was nervous of Haas in the Halle Final and Wimbledon QF.
He was nearly Bageled against Roger in the first set of the Cincinnati Final after not dropping a set all week.
9) He has a tough draw at the US Open (Roddick in his Quarter and Federer in his Semi), and he is defending a SF appearance. Also, since Grand Slam point allocations have been reduced this year for QF, SF and Finals, he must make the Final to avoid losing points (if he makes the SF, he will receive 720pts, so he will actually lose points).
So what’s the word? Djokovic has only 300 points to defend in Paris and Madrid in the two ATP1000 events following the Us Open. The Shanghai 1000 event is wide open since it is new. but the big point holder he has this season is his win at the Tennis Master’s Cup at the Year End Finals (1300pts). Given that Federer and Nadal will likely be healthy for the final this year, and Murray has played well all season, it is likely he will have more competition to defend that title.
Will Djokovic HOLD ONTO the #4 ranking, maybe supplant Nadal or Murray and move back into the Top 3, or will he lose his ranking to either Roddick, Del Potro, or somebody else?
And please, if you’re going to answer, support your opinion. Don’t just say because you like or hate the guy.
- Solar Producer: If Roger Federer Is Really That Good, Then Why Does He Always Lose To Nadal? (9/12/2011)
- Solar Producer: Do You Think Rafael Nadal Will Be Better Than Federer? (6/1/2011)
- Solar Products: Did You Ever Wonder How The Chinese New Year (Year Of The Rat) Sunspots And Revelation 13 Connect? (8/24/2011)
- Quick Tennis Quiz – 7 Questions?
- CONSUMER REPORTS…usually about 1/2 to 1 year behind the bell curve…?