I have to do a science project and Have no idea where to start on this one!!!! I need some ideas on how to use these materials to produce solar energy, as well has how to separate the materials. Please help!! I want to hear your ideas to spark some of my own!! Thanks!!!
The Recycling Factory Project
Suppose that you are the new owner of the We Can Save Recycling Factory and you are looking for business. Your factory is powered by solar energy and it acts as a transfer station, where materials are separated and shipped, by truck, to a processing plant.
An official from San Fransisco, Mr. Smith, tells you that they have a dump truck full of recycled materials that must be separated, and they will pay you $ 5,000 if you can do it. Unfortunately, the job is made more difficult by the fact that someone has ground all of the materials into a fine powder, making it impossible to separate them by hand. Fortunately, Mr. Smith knows what the materials in the truck are, as well as their densities:
Aluminum soda cans
Plastic bottles and jugs
In your factory, you have the following materials at your disposal:
· A long conveyor belt
· A large tank that can be filled with water
· Another large tank labeled “Concentrated sugar water, density = 1.5g/cm3”
· Several powerful magnets hanging above the conveyor belt
· Several nets for skimming the tanks and scooping material from the bottoms.
Your job: Find a way to separate the four recycled materials. You may need to do this in several steps.
You will have to write a letter to the city official that describes your plan.
· Explain how your factory uses solar power to generate electricity, while protecting the environment.
· You describe what will be separated by each step.
· Your plan is understandable.
· You use correct grammar and spelling.
· Your letter is no more than three pages.
- Solar Lights: Art / Science Project Help!!? (8/31/2011)
- Solar Panel: Does A Solar Panel Have The Capacity To Run A Factory? If So How Much Would It Be? (12/23/2011)
- Solar Lights: Are These Answers In Physical Science Correct? If Not Why? (8/31/2011)
- Solar Producer: I Am Trying To Help My Son He Is In 4th Grade? (12/21/2011)
- Solar Lights: Which Science Fair Project Do You Think I Should Use? (9/16/2011)