WASHINGTON — The peak of the next sunspot cycle is expected … mid-2012 — potentially affecting airline flights, communications satellites and electrical transmissions, according to the government’s Space Environment Center in Boulder, Colorado…
During an active solar period, violent eruptions occur more often on the sun, the agency said. Solar flares and vast explosions, known as coronal mass ejections, shoot highly charged matter toward Earth…
Daniel Baker, director of the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at the University of Colorado-Boulder, noted that more than $ 200 billion satellites in space can be affected by changes in solar radiation as the cycle rises and falls. A doomsday vault would be built near Longyaerbyen, Svalbard’s main village, with space for three million seed varieties.
It would be a remote Arctic back-up -http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1651679.htm
- Solar Producer: Does The Shrinking Atmosphere & Recent Lowlevels Of Solar Radiation Help Explain The Mini Iceage & Maunder Min? (6/12/2011)
- Solar Power: 2012 Solar Flare Could Wipe Out Power, Satellites, Etc? (6/8/2011)
- Earth Science – PLEASE HELP?
- Solar Producer: Could Solar Flares Cause An Asteroid Strike? (6/4/2011)
- Solar Lights: How Many Of You Know Stephens Hawkins Is A Air Force Prank? (6/11/2011)